[ Back to Alternate Stories ]



 [ The Otherworlds ]



"Safe"
An Earth 1014 Possible Future

by Chaser9

 

Jayson Garrick knew the alarm was going off before he even heard it.  That was usually the case.  His body had it down to an art.  He would awaken just moments before the sounds would began to come from the alarm clock.  He swiftly shoved his hand down on the snooze button and looked around the room.  Everything seemed normal.  His wife, Wade, was still  asleep in the bed next to him and his young daughter Carly was asleep in a toddler bed at the foot of his own bed.

 

"Good" he thought to himself.  He hated when the alarm disturbed either of them.

 

Jayson continued with his morning routine, shower, shave, clothes, kiss the wife and kid on the forehead, grab some type of pastry from the cabinet and a thick, syrupy, carbonated beverage from the fridge and he was out the door.  Remy was waiting at the end of the driveway.

 

"You ready for this?" Jayson asked as he got into the car.

 

"I'm not sure."

 

As the two drove down the road, Jayson looked his friend over carefully.  He could tell that Remy was troubled and he was pretty sure he knew why.

 

"Penny for your thoughts, Rem."

 

"It's nothing, Jay."

 

Jayson knew that was a lie.

 

Remy stopped the car at a gate outside of a warehouse.  A man in uniform checked their ID and opened the gate. Remy pulled through the gate and parked the car in a space and shut it off.

 

Remy looked to Jayson and spoke, "Come on, let's get this over with."

 

As the two walked towards an entrance to the warehouse Jayson stopped, grabbed Remy by the arm and spoke, "We can't  do this, not like this.  You're my best friend Rem and I need you to understand this."

 

"I know you're afraid, but do you really think this is necessary?"

 

Jayson looked to his friend, "I'm not the one who's afraid.  Is that why you think i did this?  Is that why you think the minute I got home I sold us out to the government?  Rem, you were out there with me, you know what kind of monsters exist out there and I'll be damned if they're going to find there way here!"

 

"Because you're afraid he'll find his way back here."  Remy's words were calm.

 

"He's exactly the kind of monster this world needs protection from."

 

"He's our friend, Jay."

 

Jayson was becoming agitated, "He was our friend, a long time ago, but they broke his mind . . . that person doesn't exist anymore."

 

"Are you sure?"  Remy was  still trying to stay calm.

 

"Rem, you weren't there and I didn't want to sully the good memories you had of your friend, but . . .  he tried to kill Wade, said he felt like she had betrayed him because she'd fallen in love with me.  His mind couldn't comprehend that he had abandoned her so his broken psyche fabricated a new reality for him.  Rem . . . when I pushed him into that vortex, I knew we'd never be safe again."

 

Remy shook his head, "No."

 

Jayson placed his hand on Remy's shoulder.  "I'm sorry.  I didn't want you to know how far he'd fallen."

 

"Not Quinn.  He couldn't . . ."

 

"Rem . . . Wade still wakes up screaming sometimes at night.  She's so afraid he'll find his way back here . . . I can't let her go through that.  I have to make sure my wife and daughter are safe.  I need you to understand that."

 

"Let's do this."  Remy's words where quick.

 

The two walked through the door into the warehouse, they were surrounded by all types of hi-tech machinery and in the center of the room there was a platform with a panel with a lever on it.

 

" I see you two have finally arrived."

 

"Yes, Dr. Wing.  We were running a bit behind today." 

 

"That's fine Jayson, we couldn't start without you anyway.  If you'll take your position on the platform we'll get started."

 

Remy walked up next to Dr. Wing as Jayson took his place on the platform. 

 

"Doc you want to explain this to me one more time, just so I understand exactly what's going to happen."

 

"Of course.  Once Jayson throws the switch these machines should power up and using the same principles as the technology you and he used  to travel from parallel earth to parallel earth, it should create a field that will shift this earth just slightly out of sync with the rest of the multi-verse.  In effect this world will be cloaked and no travelers from other universe will be able to reach us, of course that also means we won't be able to leave this earth, but for the safety of the human race it's a sacrifice that is well worth it."

 

"I guess you're right, Doc."  Remy's words were unsure, but if what Jayson had said was true, then this world needed to be protected.

 

"We're ready Jayson."

 

Jayson placed his hand on the lever and pulled down.  He heard the machines all around him powering up and as he heard a familiar 'wooshing' sound he knew his wife, his daughter and his world would be safe.




 [ Never The End ]

Back to Alternate Stories