[ Back to Alternate Stories ]



 [ The Otherworlds ]



"Reflections"
by Chaser9

 

"Where are they Remmy?" Quinn Mallory was becoming concerned.  His two sliding companions had not arrived for the slide yet.

 

"They'll be here Q-Ball.  Don't worry."

 

"You know, Remmy, I never thought I'd see you shave your stache," Quinn replied. 

 

"I lost that bet fair and square Q-Ball.  Besides, you know as well as I do, she's very persuasive." 

 

"Don't I ever, Remmy.  Here they come."  

 

The boisterous voice of Professor Maximilian Arturo rang out, "Sorry, but you know how she gets.  I shall never understand her fascination with having to obtain a keepsake from every world we visit." 

 

"Have to have something to show the grandkids someday," Wade approached Quinn and spoke, "Miss me?" 

 

He hugged her and spoke, "Of course, never cut it that close again."

 

Quinn pulled the timer from his inside pocket.  He was amazed it had lasted this long.  It had been nearly five years since he built it, but luckily he and the Professor had been able to repair it every time it had been damaged.  The readout hit zero and the swirling blue vortex opened, it almost looked like water being distorted by rain, it was a beautiful site.  Rembrandt Brown was the first in, followed by Maximilian Arturo. 

 

"After you,” Quinn said. 

 

"Uh-uh, together.  I don't let you out of my sight anymore, remember?" Wade replied.  "I love you more every day.  Do you realize that?"  "Of course, now let's go!"  The two linked hands and jumped into the vortex.

"Remmy!  Where are they?"

Quinn Mallory was becoming angry.  His two sliding companions were late, again. And he and Rembrandt were pinned down under gunfire.

"They'll be here Quinn."  "If not, we're sliding without them."

"You keep threatening them with that, but it never does any good." 

"Easy there Mallory! You leave me here and I'll find a way to track you down. Besides, it's farm boy's fault."  Maggie Beckett raised her gun and shot a few rounds off. 

Colin Mallory did the same and spoke, "Sorry Quinn, they had us pinned down." 

Quinn pulled the timer from his pocket.  He hated the Egyptian timer.  Truthfully, he didn't completely understand the technology behind it, but he had successfully convinced Maggie and Colin that he had built it.  He opened the dark blue wormhole. It looked like a cylinder, spinning in the sky.

"GO! GO! GO!" he screamed. 

Rembrandt Brown was first, followed by Colin Mallory.  Quinn spoke, "Well?"  Maggie cracked a smile and jumped in.  Quinn followed.

Two wormholes opened up in the sky.  One was blue and resembled rain distorting water, the other was a dark blue and seemed like a cylinder spinning in the sky.  Four figures were deposited from each vortex. 

Quinn Mallory spoke, "Is everyone alright?" 

"Mr. Mallory, look!" 

On the words of the Professor, Quinn turned to see himself.  Both Quinn's spoke in unison, "Oh my God."

The two groups of sliders closely examined one another Rembrandt Brown spoke, "Quinn, its doubles of us  . . . with Wade and The Professor." 

"I see it Remmy.  I just don't believe it."

Alt-Quinn spoke, "Wow, doubles, and they're sliders . . .do you realize what this means?" 

Alt-Rembrandt spoke, “I don't think they're happy to see us." 

Maggie Beckett's voice was blaring, "Who are you!" 

Wade spoke, "A little loud, isn't she?"

Rembrandt cracked a smile, obviously a Wade double. 

Maximilian Arturo spoke, "Allow me to explain.  We are sliders, much like you I would imagine.  Quinn here created the portal and we became lost . . . "

Quinn spoke, “When you activated your timer prematurely." 

"Yes, it appears you are a bright as our own Mr. Mallory," Arturo replied. 

Colin spoke, "Quinn are these the ones you've told me about?  Wade and The Professor?" 

"Not now, Colin."

The Alternate sliders faces became confused. 

"You know us?" Wade asked. 

Rembrandt replied, "Yeah, it's a long story." 

Quinn held up his timer, "And we've got roughly two weeks on this world." 

Alt-Quinn lifted his timer and spoke, “What are the exact readouts?" 

Quinn replied, "12 days twelve hours and . . ."

"52 minutes,' Alt-Quinn interrupted. 

"How did you know?" Quinn asked. 

"Because our timer says s the exact same thing." 

"This is too weird, Q-Ball," Rembrandt said. 

"I know Remmy. Let's get to the Chandellor." 

Wade spoke, "Guys, this is freaking me out, let's get to the Dominion." 

"I'm with her, Q-Ball," Alt-Rembrandt replied. 

"Okay, let's get out of here," Alt-Quinn said.

"I don't believe this!  The Chandellor exists on every world we've been to!" Maggie said. 

"But we're in San Francisco.  The Dominion, Quinn?" Rembrandt replied. 

"Do we have a choice?" he replied. 

 "There's always the Motel 12." 

"Funny Rembrandt, never again.  The Dominion I guess."

Quinn, Maggie, Rembrandt and Colin settled into their room.  Rembrandt spoke, "You okay, Q-Ball?" 

"I'm fine.  Why wouldn't I be?" 

"We just saw doubles of Wade and the Professor." 

"So,” Quinn replied. 

"Never mind.  I'm going to the bar.   Colin, you want to tag along?"  Rembrandt asked. 

"Sure thing, Rembrandt." 

Rembrandt opened the door.  At the exact same moment, the door across from them opened and Alt-Rembrandt and Arturo stepped from it. 

Alt-Remmy spoke, "You guys are here too?" 

Rembrandt spoke, "Yeah . . . we're heading to the bar." 

"So are we.  Wanna join us?" 

Arturo spoke up, "It would be a wonderful time to explore the differences between our two groups."

Alt Rembrandt spoke up, "I think what he's trying to say is I've never got to share a beer with my double before.  And I'm curious about you." 

"Colin?" Rembrandt asked. 

"If this man is anything like the Professor Arturo my brother has told me about, I would like to spend time with him.  He was a great inspiration to my brother."

Arturo spoke, "Brother?  You mean you are Quinn's brother? And what do you mean was an inspiration?" 

Rembrandt spoke, "It's a long story, Professor.  We'll fill you in at the bar."

Maggie Beckett walked into the hotel room.  She saw Quinn and could have sworn he was crying.  "Quinn?" 

 He jumped.  "What!  You startled me Maggie." 

"I just came up from the bar.  Rembrandt and Colin are down there with the doubles of Rembrandt and Professor Arturo.  The two Rembrandts were singing a duet of Tears in My something or other. Are you okay?" 

"I'm fine.  I just need some air."  Quinn walked out of the room and walked outside of the hotel.  He needed to think.

"Let me get this straight, your Professor was killed by this nut job named Rickman and your Wade's a prisoner of the Kromaggs? "

Arturo spoke, "And your Quinn is from another universe and Colin is his long lost brother.  And your Earth Prime has been conquered by the Kromaggs." 

"Yeah, that's right.  Q-Ball's been so eager to find his homeworld and the weapon to destroy the maggs, that we haven't had time for much else." 

"What about your Wade?" Arturo replied. 

"We were real close once.  On a world where there was a breeder camp, but Quinn got all funny about it, almost like he didn't want to find her." 

"I wouldn't say that, Rembrandt," Colin replied. 

"But it's true, Colin.  You haven't known Quinn as long as I have.  He's changed.  Ever since Pulsar world." 

Arturo chimed in, "What happened there?" 

"That's where we lost our Arturo and picked up Maggie.  He's been real different since then." 

"Strange, I can only hypothesize that our two groups were very similar.  It appears that from what you've told me, our early adventures were nearly identical.  Although we never landed on a Pulsar World." 

"That might be the difference between us.  One different slide is all it would have took, "Alt Rembrandt said. 

Rembrandt spoke, "Don't I know it."

Quinn was walking alone.  He had to think.  Wade and Arturo.  The last two people he wanted to see.  He had locked their visages away.  He had other more important things to attend to. 

"Quinn!  There you are.  I didn't know where you'd ran off to." 

Quinn turned around.  It was Wade. 

"Look what I got . . . . ." She took a good look at him and spoke, "You're the other one." 

He was shocked, she knew almost instantly.  "Yeah.  How did you know?" 

Wade held up her hand, she was wearing a ring.  "Because, I'm married to my Quinn.  You're not wearing a ring for one and you just have this air about you, I can't explain it." 

"Wade!  I didn't think I'd ever catch up to you," Alt-Quinn said.  He noticed his double and spoke, "I was hoping to run into you again.  I was wondering if we could go over some formulas.  Maybe you could help us get home and vice versa. Besides I'd really love to see your timer, it looked nothing like mine." 

"I don't think so. It probably wouldn't be of much help.  I picked it up on Egypt World when we missed the slide." 

Alt-Quinn spoke, "Egypt world had sliding technology?" 

Quinn replied, "Yeah.  Have you been there?" 

Wade spoke, "Yeah, it was a little more than a year ago.  It was pretty uneventful.  We slid in, took a look around and slid out.  No biggie." 

"I wouldn't say that Wade, remember the slave girl?" Alt-Quinn replied. 

"I know. If the Professor hadn't stopped me . . .it could have been bad."

Quinn spoke, "I've got to go."  He had to get away from them. He had to.  He had finally realized who they were and he couldn't stand it.

Wade turned to Alt-Quinn and spoke, "I know our doubles are different some times, I mean especially after the whole Logan incident, but he's so different from you . . . like just seeing us . . .hurts him." 

Alt-Quinn spoke, "Wade, we have no idea how his life has been. We have no right to judge him." 

"I know, but something about him . . . .I don't know . . ." 

Alt-Quinn replied, "Let's get back to the room."

Both Rembrandts, Professor Arturo and Colin made their way back to the rooms.  Obviously they had all indulged in a bit too much to drink . . .especially the professor. 

"You know, Colin my lad, I see a lot of potential in you . . . .I like you," Arturo said as he stumbled about. 

"Thank you Professor," Colin replied.

"And now . . .I must . . . Rembrandt! Door please." 

Alt-Rembrandt opened the door and the professor stepped into the room. 

"I think I'll do the same," Colin said.  Colin opened the door and walked inside. 

Rembrandt was about to follow when his double spoke, "Something bothering you?" 

Rembrandt replied, "That obvious?" 

His double smiled, "You are me after all.  Talk to me." 

Rembrandt began, "I never realized how much I missed that guy until you guys showed up.  It hasn't been the same without him and Wade around." 

"I can only imagine.  You know, we almost lost him once.  He was diagnosed with this terminal disease.  There wasn't a cure.  Oh he tried to hide it.  Q-Ball found out about it . . .and as he got worse so did Wade and me.  We landed on a world and he nearly died.  We were lucky.  They're medicine was so advanced they could cure him, but . . . if we'd landed anywhere else . . . he'd be dead.  That changed him.  He doesn't take anything for granted, not anymore." 

Rembrandt spoke, "Our Professor was the same.  He had the same disease, but only Quinn and me knew and I found out by accident.  He was killed before it got too bad.  It's weird, seeing the four of you is like seeing how it could have been . . . how it should have been." 

Alt-Rembrandt placed his arm on his doubles shoulder and spoke, "Don't take this the wrong way "Cryin' Man" but after hearing about your life, I'm glad those things didn't happen to us." 

"Yeah . . . me too . . .at least some of us get to be happy."

Rembrandt said goodbye to his double and walked into the room.  He caught the end of a Quinn/Colin conversation.

"I'm fine, Colin.  Go to bed." 

Colin left the room and Rembrandt walked up to Quinn and spoke, "Something's bothering you Q-Ball, I can tell." 

"I'm fine, Rembrandt." 

Rembrandt took a good look at Quinn.  His face was tear stained.  "Don't lie to me Quinn.  We've been sliding together for nearly five years.  I know you . . . probably better than you know yourself.  This last year you've been different.  Come on, feel something!  The Professor is dead!  Wade's in a breeder camp!  The world you always thought was your home is conquered by the Maggs!  Feel something!  Say something!"  Quinn was silent.  "Damn it Quinn!  I've been quiet up until now, but I know something's wrong." 

"They're us, Remmy!" Quinn snapped. 

"I know, Q-Ball.  They never landed on Pulsar World," Rembrandt replied. 

"No, Rembrandt, that's not it.  They made the slide on Egypt World.  Because of that every world they landed on afterwards was different.  If we'd made that window, every window after that would have been to a different world.  We never would have come across Maggie's world . . .never lost the Professor and Wade . . ."

"Wouldn't be a prisoner of the Maggs." 

Quinn broke down into tears.  "Remmy . . . what have I become?" 

Rembrandt placed his arm on Quinn's shoulder and spoke, "Let it out Quinn . . . it's time."

It was the following day.  Quinn, Rembrandt, Colin and Maggie were watching TV, on this world, BJ and the Bear was still on the air . . . it seems the denizens of this world loved shows about monkeys and truckers.  There was a knock at the door.  Maggie opened it and Wade came running into the room. 

"I want to talk to you, now!" She screamed. 

The others began to walk out of the room. 

"You’re not going anywhere . . .any of you," she said.

The others slowly eased back into their seats.  Quinn and Rembrandt's doubles along with Professor Arturo entered the room. 

Alt-Quinn spoke, "Sorry, we tried to stop her." 

Quinn replied, "It's okay.  What do you need, although I think I have an idea of what you're about to say." 

Wade spoke with anger in her voice, "She's out there, a prisoner of the Kromaggs in some god forsaken breeder camp and you haven't even tried to find her!" 

Maggie spoke, "That's not true." 

Quinn replied," She's right Maggie.  We've been so intent on finding my homeworld and the weapon to destroy the Kromaggs that I haven't even tried to find Wade." 

"I knew it!  I trust my life to these people.  I know that if anything ever happened to me that they wouldn't rest until they found me.  I'll bet my doubles the same.  She probably believes that the four of you will vortex in and rescue her at any time.  I pity her and you." 

"Listen here.  Me and Wade were never friends and I hate what's happened to her more than anyone, but we have something a little more important to deal with.  She'd understand." 

Rembrandt spoke, "No she wouldn't Maggie.  You forget that everything changed when you joined up.  Before that we were a family.  Any of us gladly would have given their life for any of the others.  When the Professor died and you started sliding with us, everything changed.  Their Wade's right.  Our Wade is waiting for us to find her . . .more importantly for Quinn to find her." 

Arturo spoke, "I believe we should take our leave.  This appears to be a private matter." 

Quinn spoke, "No, stay.  I want the four of you to see what you could have become.  I'm tired of the way she looks at me, like I'm a monster."  Quinn was becoming angry.  He pointed his finger at his double and spoke, "You would have become just like me if you'd missed that one slide!  One slide!"  Quinn began to breakdown, "One slide . . .one slide . . .one slide . . .. " Quinn fell to the floor. 

Maggie ran to his side.  She cradled him in her arms and spoke, "Leave!  All of you!" 

Quinn's words could be heard through his sobs,  "I failed . . .I failed them all . . .failed . . .couldn't save them . . .couldn't . . .failed"

Rembrandt and Colin were at the bar in the hotel.  They each were trying to forget what they had just seen. 

"Mind if we join you?" Alt-Rembrandt asked. 

Colin replied, "I'm not sure that's a good idea." 

Rembrandt spoke, "Pull up a chair." 

Alt-Rembrandt and Arturo sat down and Arturo spoke, “I would like to apologize for our Mrs. Mallory." 

"It's okay Professor.  Quinn had that coming.  It's time for him to realize what he's become." 

"Rembrandt!  You actually want Quinn to go through this?" 

"Yeah Colin, I do.  For too long I've sat back and watched him.  He was like a cardboard cut out, unfeeling.  It was like he wasn't human." 

"Rembrandt, he's done all that he can.  Considering what he's been through. ."

Rembrandt cut him off, "Considering what he's been through . . .HE SHOULD HAVE DONE MORE!!!" 

Colin stood up and walked off. 

Alt-Rembrandt spoke," Little rough on him, weren't you?" 

"No.  He's never understood.  He wasn't there from day one.  He didn't grow close to Wade and Arturo.  They didn't become like family to him. And he didn't lose them . . .didn't have to see what Quinn became.  I feel guilty for what happened to Wade and the Professor." 

Arturo spoke, "We all know about guilt." 

Alt-Rembrandt spoke, "What do you mean Professor?" 

"Nothing Mr. Brown.  I believe I will get some fresh air." 

"Okay Professor." 

Arturo left the table.  He walked to the entrance then looked back at the two Rembrandts.  He knew about guilt . . .all too well.

The days began to pass.  Quinn, Maggie and Colin avoided the others as much as they could.  Rembrandt grew closer to them.  To him, they were the family he had lost nearly two years ago.
Strangely enough, their Professor Arturo began to grow distant.
 

Quinn sat alone in the room.  Colin and Maggie had decided to take in a movie. Rembrandt had gone club hopping with his double.  Quinn had opted to remain alone.  His thoughts were still troubled.  He had tried to ease his mind by watching some TV, but it wasn't helping.  There was a knock at the door.  Quinn walked to the door and opened it.  He was staring at himself.

"Can I come in?" Alt-Quinn asked. 

"I don't think so." 

"Please . . . it's important," Alt-Quinn replied. 

"Alright." 

Alt-Quinn walked into the room and sat down.  "I've been doing some thinking, and I've discovered something . . . I was curious if you'd discovered the same thing."

Quinn eyed his other strangely, "What exactly have you discovered?" 

"I won't mince words . . . we're both Quinn Mallory . . . I mean we're from the same Earth."

"Would you care to elaborate?" 

Alt-Quinn spoke, "I mean, we're identical up until that Egypt World slide.  Until that point, one of our groups didn't exist.  There were several possibilities that could have played out.  We made the slide, we missed the slide or in your case missed the slide and began sliding with a new timer.  For all intents and purposes we all originate from the same Earth, the same Earth Prime." 

Quinn spoke, "I know.  I've known since you told me about Egypt World.  You're right.  One of our groups didn't exist before that world.  I'd wager that our quantum signatures are identical." 

Alt-Quinn replied, "You've known?  Answer me this.  My Rembrandt told me you made it back to Earth Prime, that it was overrun by the Kromaggs." 

"Yes . . . or at least I think it was Earth Prime.  I never had a chance to make sure one-way or the other.  I assumed that world was Earth Prime because the first time I visited it with Maggie, my gate squeaked and Mom had found the necklace I’d hidden.  There wasn't time to make sure of all the details.  Besides, it had to be home, or the story of me being from another Earth would be a lie.  And since I found Colin, I have to believe it was true." 

"Unless of course, it was really your double from that world who was from another Earth." 

 Quinn spoke, "It doesn't matter.  I have to do this.  I have to find the homeworld and get Colin back to our parents.  It's the only way to defeat the Maggs."

“That's your only goal now, isn't it?" 

 Quinn replied, "Yes." 

Alt-Quinn shook his head, "I pity you, Quinn.  I only wish you could have had my life.  I look at you and I see a dark reflection of myself, someone who has lost touch with what's important. You remind me of my double who gave me the sliding equation.  I ran into him nearly two years ago, right after Egypt World.  His world was infested with Kromaggs.  His mind was gone.  They'd killed his wife, his Wade.  I helped him fix his timer, but he left me with these words.  ‘Take away your friends, slide alone like I have, we're no different.' I decided then to never let go of what was important to me, getting them home and Wade.  I married her three worlds later.  I'd always said sliding from world to world was no way to have a relationship.  I was wrong.  If you’re anything like me, when you lost her, you lost a piece of your soul . . . which I'm assuming Maggie fills?" 

Quinn shook his head, “It’s complicated." 

"I have time.  Wade and the Professor went to the movies and Rembrandt's with your Rembrandt.  I'm all ears." 

Quinn spoke, "Fine, let's go get a beer."

Quinn took a drink of his beer and spoke, "Where should I start?" 

Alt-Quinn replied, "Wherever you think you should." 

"When we lost the Professor, it killed me.  I was filled with rage.  I wanted to kill Rickman.  He'd taken away the closest thing I'd had to a father in a long time. It was during all of this that I began to detach myself from Wade and Rembrandt. I was attracted to Maggie, had been since we met.  When Rickman was killed, I was free to pursue those feelings, but it was a mistake.  If I'd slid back home with Remmy and Wade I might have been able to stop the Kromaggs.  But I didn't.  Then I found out about my true parents and then Colin.  It was a lot to take in.  Then Maggie and me became trapped in a bubble world.  We lived an entire life together, fell in love, got married and we had a son.  Understand something, I did love Wade, but we decided not to pursue those feelings.  She was gone and I had lived this LIFE with Maggie.  We were connected.  Quinn, I love her.  But until this mess with the homeworld and the Kromaggs is straightened out I can't do anything." 

Alt-Quinn replied, "What about your Wade?" 

Quinn was hesitant, "I can stand to face her.  She hated Maggie.  And now I love her.  I failed Wade.  I wasn't there to save her.  And I can't stand the thought of how she'll look at me.  We were close, so close to finding her, but I couldn't.  I was too afraid of how she'd look at me . . . those eyes."  Tears began to fall from Quinn's eyes. 

Alt-Quinn spoke, "You have to find her. I know you.   You can't leave her to their mercies." 

"I know.  You don't know what it like to have the weight of the whole multiverse on your shoulders and no one you can talk to about it."  Quinn tried to smile, "Wade was good for that though.  Always willing to listen . . .God I miss her!" 

"It appears you have more on your shoulders than you could ever handle, my other."

Quinn wiped the tears from his eyes and spoke, "First thing in the morning we start working on your timer.  I'll upgrade it and do whatever I can."

Quinn was up early the next morning.  There was a knock at the door.  He opened the door and Alt-Quinn walked in.   "Are you ready?" Quinn asked. 

"As I'll ever be." 

The two Quinns sat down at a table and pulled each of their timers out.  The original timer lay next to the Egyptian one. 

Quinn looked at the original and spoke, "Damn, I've missed that thing."

Alt-Quinn replied, " I can only imagine.  In the last few years it's become as much a part of me as my right arm." 

Quinn picked up the original timer and looked it over.  "You can't track wormholes or store coordinates, can you?" 

Alt-Quinn replied, "No.  Can you?" 

Quinn smiled, "Only thanks to Maggie's husband.  But I understand what he did enough to install the feature on yours." 

The two Quinn's began to work.  To pass the time they reminisced about the memories they shared of the worlds they visited. 

 "What about the time on Nude World?" Alt-Quinn asked. 

Quinn burst into laughter, "That was priceless!" 

The laughter of the two Quinns had awoken everyone else in the room. 

Rembrandt came walking out of the bedroom and spoke, "Q-Ball?" 

Both Quinn's turned and spoke, "Yeah, Remmy?"  The two broke into laughter. 

Rembrandt cracked a smile.  It was good to see Quinn laugh again. 

Maggie walked into the room, looked around and spoke, “What’s he doing here?" 

Quinn replied, "I invited him.  I'm working on his timer.  Which brings up another point.  Remmy.  Call over to their room.  Get them over here." 

"What?" Maggie said. 

"Maggie, they need our help.  I won't turn it down.  Besides, we've lost sight of ourselves.  I think they can help us regain our focus." 

Maggie could only stare dumbfounded at Quinn.

The Quinns had finished their work on the timer and Alt-Quinn's group had arrived at the room.  Rembrandt began to strike up a conversation with his other and Wade.  Colin stayed distant, as did Professor Arturo. 

Wade broke off from the Remmys and walked toward Maggie.  She spoke, "Can I talk to you?" 

Maggie looked at her strangely. 

"I'm not going to go ballistic again.  It's about Quinn . . . your Quinn."   

Maggie replied," Follow me."

Quinn turned to his other and spoke, "You can track wormholes, store coordinates and I've transferred most of my coordinates over to your timer." 

"Quinn, thank you." 

"It's the least I can do.  So now, you have a decision to make. Do you go home to Earth Prime even though it's Kromagg infested or do you keep sliding?" 

Alt-Quinn cracked a smile and spoke, "Sorry Quinn, but I don't believe that was Earth Prime.  Besides, if it was, it's only one of millions of possible ways that world could have gone in the last five years.  I'm sure a non Kromagg conquered Earth Prime is still out there.  With our families still waiting for us.  I intend to find it.  Besides, Mom has to meet the new wife."  Alt-Quinn laughed a little. 

"I know your right.  If it wasn't for everything that happened, I might do the same, but I can't.  There's too much riding on me.  Still have to find the homeworld and get the weapon to defeat the Maggs . . . and I have to find Wade." 

"Glad to hear it . . . have you told the others yet?" Alt-Quinn asked. 

"No, haven't had a chance, but I will." 

"Glad to hear it."

Maggie and Wade were sitting on the bed in the bedroom.  Maggie spoke, "What exactly did you want to say?" 

Wade replied, "You know he's hurting." 

"I know.  I try to help him but he locks me out." 

Wade replied, "My Quinn was the same for a long time.  Things changed." 

"And you two married?" 

"Yeah, happiest day of my life.  We got married on a world nearly identical to home.  Had it in the church I'd always wanted to be married in.  The Professor walked me down the aisle and Rembrandt was Quinn's best man." 

Maggie was hesitant, "Wade . . . I'm glad you and Quinn got to be happy." 

Wade looked at Maggie strangely.  "I thought you and my double didn't get along?" 

"We didn't, although, I do miss her antagonism.  She was someone who always kept me on my toes.  It's just, Lately I've felt like it's my fault what happened.  It was because of me that Quinn didn't slide back home.  Maybe he could have stopped the Maggs, or at least saved Wade and Rembrandt from the Maggs." 

Wade looked at Maggie and spoke, "You surprise me.  When I first met you I thought you were selfish and uncaring, but I was wrong.  Let me ask you something . . . Do you love Quinn?" 

Maggie was silent.  She looked at Wade and spoke, "Yes, but it can never work . . . too many things that will never change." 

Wade spoke, "Then promise me something. Promise me you'll take care of him. Watch out for him . . .don't let anything happen to him."

Wade began to cry, so did Maggie. She put her arms around Wade and hugged her, then spoke, "I promise."

Colin Mallory turned to Professor Arturo and spoke, "Are you alright Professor Arturo?" 

Arturo replied, "My mind is troubled lad.  Thank you for noticing." 

"Would you care to talk about it?"

"Yes, but I wish to discuss it with everyone." Arturo replied.

Wade and Maggie returned from the bedroom, they were both wiping tears from their eyes. Maggie turned to Wade and spoke, “Thank you." 

"No, thank you," Wade replied. 

"Look at that," Rembrandt said. 

Quinn replied, "Never, ever thought I'd see that." 

"Since all of you are present, I must speak.  I want all of you to hear my confession, for it is this chance encounter with you our doubles that has lead me to this," Arturo said. 

Alt-Quinn looked at him strangely, "Professor, what are you talking about?" 

"Mr. Mallory, I can no longer live with my guilt.  I have done you a grave disservice." 

"What?" 

"Simply put, Mr. Mallory, I am not your Professor Maximilian Arturo."

Quinn Mallory, spoke, "Let me see if I understand this. You are from Azure Gate Bridge World.  You kidnapped your double, tried to take credit for sliding and when you were discovered, there was a fight. And you were the Arturo that made it through the wormhole." 

"Yes, Mr. Mallory, you are correct." 

Quinn's mind was reeling.  He knew what this meant. 

"That can't be.  We would have known.  We would have been able to tell the difference, " Wade said. 

"Would you?  You forget, I read your diary, Wade.  I knew everything about the four of you before we slid. Obviously, my double and myself were not that different.  I had originally intended to discover all I could of sliding from Quinn, then return to my world and use it to gain the notoriety I'd always dreamed of.  Of course, I never realized I'd come to care for the three of you like family. Wade, you don't realize how happy it made me to walk you down the aisle.  Simply put, if I had it all to do over again, I'd do everything exactly the same.  If not for that, I never would have met the three of you.  And my life would be poorer because of this.  I will now take my leave of you.  I have plagued you with my presence for far too long." 

Arturo began to walk to the door. 

Wade spoke, "Wait!  Just because you're not the man we slid with in the beginning doesn't mean you don't belong with us.  In the last few years we've all grown closer.  Although I wish you had told us sooner, I don't want you to leave . . . if nothing else, we'll get you back home, not leave you on some parallel earth with no one." 

"Wade's right, Professor.  You belong with us, at least until we can get you home and pick our Professor back up," Alt-Rembrandt said. 

"And you, Quinn?" 

Alt-Quinn spoke, "We'll get you home, Professor.  You're family, whether you like it or not." 

 The four sliders embraced in a group hug as our sliders watched. 

"Kind of gets you right here, doesn't it Q-Ball?" 

"Yeah Remmy . . . it does . . ." Quinn turned to his other and spoke, "Can I talk to you in private, Quinn?" 

Alt-Quinn replied, "Of course."

Quinn and his other walked into the other room.  Quinn spoke, "You realize what this means, don't you?" 

 Alt-Quinn looked at Quinn strangely. "I'm not sure I do." 

 Quinn replied, "The Professor . . .our Professor . . .the one that was killed . . .had to be his double from Azure Gate Bridge World." 

Alt-Quinn's eyes widened, "Of course, since we were one group until Egypt world . . . .the "One" Professor still exists . . .it was his double that split." 

"In simple terms The Professor, the one who slid with us from the beginning, belongs to both of us," Quinn replied. 

Alt-Quinn ran his hands through his hair and spoke, "So . . . what do we do? "

Quinn's head sank a little as he spoke, "Go find him.  He'd be happier with you three anyway.  After what's happened to me, to Rembrandt and Wade . . .we wouldn't be the same . . .You three, you're untouched by all of this.  Find him . . .and then find a world close enough to home and stay there." 

"You still think Earth Prime's conquered by the Kromaggs?" 

Quinn replied, "I don't know anymore, but I have to do this . . .someone has to stop the Maggs. "

"What will you tell the others?" 

Quinn replied, "They don't realize about the "split" that created our two groups. Rembrandt thinks you're doubles . . . he doesn't have to know the truth.  As far as he or Maggie is concerned, our Arturo is dead.  Why tell them he's alive? You'll find him, he doesn't even have to know what we've become."  

Alt-Quinn spoke, "Quinn, I only hope you find happiness, someday.  No one should have to live like this." 

Quinn simply nodded his head.

"We slide in three minutes," Both Quinns spoke in unison. 

"Won't miss that a bit, it's kind of creepy," Maggie said. 

Wade approached Maggie and hugged her, "Remember." 

Maggie replied, "I will, don't worry."   

Rembrandt spoke to his other, "Never take these guys for granted.  You'll never realize how much they mean to you." 

Alt-Rembrandt replied, "You take care of Q-Ball and find Wade.  Then free your homeworld.  Then you better start the return of the "Cryin' Man" or I'll slide there and kick you in the pants.  We're entertainers, not fighters." 

Colin turned to the others and spoke, "I'm glad to have met you all.  Especially you, Professor Arturo." 

Arturo replied, "thank you Mr. Mallory.  And thank you all for making me realize it was time to stop living a lie." 

Alt-Quinn raised the timer and spoke, "We're off to find the Professor, and then we're going home, you guys?" 

Quinn replied, "Oh, let's see, in order of importance, Find Wade, Find the homeworld, get the Superweapon and free Earth Prime." 

Alt-Quinn cracked a smile and spoke, "Good Luck." 

Quinn replied, "Same to you." 

Both Quinns opened their vortexes and the sliders jumped in.

As the two vortexes collapsed, another dark blue, spinning cylinder vortex appeared.  Five people were thrown from it. 

"Wade are you okay?" Rembrandt asked. 

Colin Mallory helped Wade Wells up from the ground and she spoke, "I'm fine Remmy."

"You're a little too protective of her, Remmy, she can hold her own," Maggie said. 

Rembrandt replied, "Yeah, I know, it's just if we hadn't gotten a lock on the Kromagg Manta ship that transported her to that breeder camp back on Earth Prime, we might never have found her." 

"Doubt it, Remmy, Wade's my best friend, no way in hell, I'd ever leave her to the mercy of the Kromaggs," Quinn replied. 

"I know that Q-Ball, but I just can't help wondering what if?"

 


 [ Never The End ]

Back to Alternate Stories